Pinterest Challenge: Map Art

I shared this map art that I made for my brother and SIL on this blog post.

This was the inspiration piece:

love map 015via Minimoz

And this was mine:

I found my maps online (just google search for “state reference map” for your state) and just printed them on photo paper.

Skyler always says he is just blown away by printers.  He is positive that a printer is the most amazing electronic that $50 can get you.  :)

It printed out very nicely on photo paper!

I cut little hearts out of some red glittery cardstock paper using my Silhouette Cameo and just pasted them over the cities that I wanted.  Then, after I carefully cut out each state, I placed them between the two panes of glass for this floating frame that I picked up at Michael’s.  I taped the back side to the back glass pane so that they would stay in place.

These are some other variations I’ve made:

Baby Love DSC_0036 DSC_0325 DSC_0470 DSC_0640_2 Oregon Love

97 Thoughts on “Pinterest Challenge: Map Art

1. How did you adhear them to the glass?

2. Pamela Robinson on December 14, 2011 at 10:44 pm said:

yeeh what CARRIN said. and what size is this frame?

3. Sabrina on December 16, 2011 at 3:23 am said:

How did you print the maps? When I go go that website, it only lets me zoom in on portions of a much smaller map- maybe I’m technically-challenged?

4. Michelle on December 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

Carrin, I think the maps are between two panes of glass. I got the same frame from Michaels for a project just like this!

5. Anonymous on December 19, 2011 at 1:07 am said:

I too tried printing and saving the maps per your instructions but it only let me zoom in on the map not copy it. Did I do something wrong? I love the idea and I would like to try it so any help would be great :)

6. Sorry, I updated the instructions to make it more clear! :)

7. how did you adhere the pictures to the glass? and what size frame did you use? and one more question, do you know where I can find a reference map of JAPAN? My dad lived in japan, CA, and AL and I am trying to make him this for xmas. thanks!

8. great idea!

9. I’ve downloaded all the states we have lived, except Texas. The map on the website is different than the one you were able to print, and is different than the other states as well. Any suggestions? Could you send me the file for your map of Texas if I sent you my email?
    Thanks!
    Laura

10. @Laura
    Laura, yes! Email me at kayladanelle@gmail.com and I’ll send you the file! :)
    K

11. Anonymous on December 27, 2011 at 11:46 pm said:

Love this project! Can you please send me the file with the Texas map as well? My e-mail is dijanakadic@yahoo.com
    Thank you!

12. Anonymous on December 29, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

Thanks for the idea! I’m a military wife & plan to make this for every state we move to! I got my maps off Google maps, just type in the state name (to get the letter marker off the state, select one near it) then do prinst-screen and paste the map in paint, etc.

• My whole family is from Texas and I would love to do this for Christmas! Can you send me the Texas file too please :) bethrich0356@gmail.com

• Hi Beth! Thanks for checking this out! I’m sorry, but I don’t actually have any state files on hand. If you Google search “Texas Reference Map High Resolution” you should come up with what you need! Hope this helps. :)

13. I love your blog…. I want to do this idea but I am running into the same issue with Texas… Could you please send me that file as well… Thank you… Can’t wait to see your new blogs for 2012… 8 )

14. LOVE this! Thanks so much! I’m your newest blog follower!
    Sarah:)

15. Haliet on January 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm said:

awesome project…thank you so much for shareing

16. Did you draw the hearts on with a sharpie? Will you forward me the Texas map too please? Amymcaudle@gmail.com

17. This is so cute! My daughter moved to Texas last year and I’d love to do this for her. Could you send me the Texas file also. Thanks.

mathers(dot)lynn(at)gmail(dot)com

18. Anonymous on January 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm said:

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing! :) Helen <3

19. I’m also a military wife and am in the process of making this! I used Google maps as well, because I couldn’t save the files from the site you suggested. I LOVE this idea and am excited to add new states every time we move!

One question – did you stamp the heart on, or draw it, or is it a sticker…?

20. Gorgeous, I really love how these turned out!

21. I LOVE this idea and can’t wait to make it! Would you please send me the Texas file too? Thank you!! kelliabishop@gmail.com

22. Thanks everyone for your comments! I appreciate your kind words. :)

23. Anonymous on January 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm said:

How did you put them in between the glass? Thanks so much….this is a brilliant idea for my military family! :)

24. This is amazing! :) Can you send me a link to ohio and arkansas?

25. I love you idea and think it would be a great addition to our house since we frequently move. However, I too, can not find a decent TX map. Would you be willing to email it? If so my email is MizzMaldy@gmail.com; if not, no worries. Thanks
    =)

26. I found you via Pinterest and I too would love a Texas map. Thanks for your help. nataliehbrown@gmail.com

27. I too found you on pinterest, lot’s of Texans here :) I would greatly appreciate the Texas file also. my email is schaney26@yahoo.com thanks for the cute idea.

28. Thanks for sharing this, I think it came out better than the original! What a sweet gift.

29. I’d love the Texas map too. This is a great project! Thanks for sharing.
    lucindacummins@yahoo.com

30. Anonymous on January 22, 2012 at 8:00 pm said:

How about Michigan? I get two sections.

31. Anonymous on January 24, 2012 at 1:06 am said:

Sorry, I read the instructions, which I think were new ones, but still when I click on reference map just am able to view it larger (zooms) no right click option to print. The project looks really cute, if I can ever figure out how to print the maps.

• I ran into the same thing

• I did too! But then i figured it out :) just to the left of the box that you can move the cursor around and get the zoomed view, theres a star and it says “Download Original High Resolution: Political (State) Map” click that and it comes up in another window where you can just right click and save as. Hope this helps you guys!

32. Love it; thanks for the source of the maps!!!!

33. Anonymous on January 24, 2012 at 4:06 am said:

love this version…i’m thinking about cutting out heart shaped cardstock in red to place over the maps, but i’m not certain just yet. i’m making mine for my best friend who just moved to another state.

34. Anonymous on January 24, 2012 at 3:58 pm said:

Love Love Love this idea. However Connecticut doesnt have that great of a map.Boo.
    Thanks for the idea!

35. This is SO cool! I can’t wait to make it!

36. Anonymous on January 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm said:

Here’s a (IMO) much better place to get map images: nationalatlas.gov

• I see lots of US maps on nationalatlas.gov but no state maps. I have the TX one that was posted, but since yellowmaps.com updated theirs my WA and OR one do not match and i’d like them all to be the same type of map. anyone have any ideas?

37. Anonymous on January 26, 2012 at 4:52 pm said:

I LOVE this idea!!

38. Anonymous on January 26, 2012 at 10:04 pm said:

I think they fixed their site since you downloaded your maps. The directions no longer work on how to download the map pics for free from there. There is no “Reference Map” for any state that I have clicked on.

39. just found my way to your blog, and I love it! Great ideas. I think I am going to try using the original map that we pick up and use for traveling, it is a little worn in, maybe a few pen marks, stars of places we loved, and hand written dots for where we’ve been. I can cut exactly what I want out, put them between the 2 panes of glass in the frame, and could even shrink down a map and use it in the background…. this craft idea is a great one! thanks for sharing!

40. darn it! we live in DC and the site doesn’t have a map for it :(

41. I have five kids who are rapidly growing up and leaving the nest. I am excited to make a five state map for my family room!

42. Anonymous on January 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm said:

I love this idea! Could I also get the Texas map if possible? sarahbohnsack@gmail.com. Thank you!

43. Thanks for this cute idea AND for sharing the Texas map!

44. This is so awesome! We move around a lot with my husband’s career so I am doing this for each state we live in! Who knows…maybe I will have ALL 50 before it’s said and done!! Love the idea! Thanks!

45. Oh I love this! We are British military currently based in Texas and I may make just a Texas one as a reminder of out time here!

46. this is so adorable! i absolutely want to do this for my wedding!!
    thanks for sharing!
    sarah

47. Anonymous on February 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm said:

I love this!!! I did one a couple of weeks ago for my family. My husband, our 2 kids and I were all born in different states. So I cut out the state maps of each state where we were born and placed a star on the map to mark the cities where we were born. It turned out great!!! Thanks for sharing this idea!!

48. lol, holy cow! I’ve never seen so many comments on a post of yours before!!!! And how were you able to find out that you had 40,000 pin’s for this project?

Way to go!!!!

49. For those of you who had other countries…did you ever find good maps for them? I’m looking for a United Kingdom one that looks similar to the NV map I just found on her link. THANKS

50. i LOVE this idea,thank you!! i am going to attempt this for my own brother and soon-to-be sister inlaw :)

51. If you goto http://www.nationalatlas.gov/printable/reference.html#list you can download great maps. When you arrive at that link you will see a list of states, after selecting the state you want simply click “Print PDF Map“. You will then be taken to a PDF page where you can either save the PDF file or print it. If you don’t have Adobe Reader to view PDF files you can get it at http://get.adobe.com/reader/.
    Hope this helps some of you.

52. Anonymous on February 21, 2012 at 1:21 am said:

I am 21 years old and just recently found and met my Birth Mother. She lives in Oklahoma and I in Texas. I am making one for her and one for myself. Such a precious gift idea

53. Anonymous on February 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm said:

thanks for posting the link to the maps. I am working on some geography projects for my grandkids and have been looking for just such a resource. All my searching never turned up a site like this. Just goes to show how much stuff there is out there! I’ll never get around to looking at it all!

54. I have been trying to get my state (Illinios) to save but I am only able to zoom in. It may be because I have a mac? Could you send me it or help me at all? Thanks! miller.kimberly@comcast.net

• To the left of the map there is a box with a star in it. It says “Download original high-resolution image” if you click on that link it should open up the original jpg file which you can then right click on and save or print.

55. I am having an issue with getting them all to be abound the same size… Im doing NY, PA, and NC… NY is where we are from, PA is where we fell in love, and NC is where we are based with the Marine Corps. I want to do this for every state we are stationed in… But with my OCD I am have and issue. NY is a decent size but PA is HUGE and NC is very small. I have tried cropping and working on the sizes but I cant get them to print right!

• Did you try the maps that I linked to a couple posts up from yours? They should all print the same size I believe. They are one page PDF files.

56. Anonymous on March 14, 2012 at 6:48 pm said:

im doing one as well i used 2 huge road atlas’s i bought at walmart cut out the state of texas …but im useing foam poaster board tracing texas cutting that out and sticking my map to it so that it looks 3d in my frame and the frame im using is 24×36 since i choose the big atlas to use. cant wait till im finished!

57. You might try using the CIA World Factbook website for maps as well, especially of other countries. Go to https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ I’ve used the page for many projects and papers over the years. When you get to the website click on the pull down menu “–Select a Country or Location–” to find whatever country you want.

58. I just made this for my husband! Our 23rd anniversary is this Friday. Thank you so much for the idea & for the link to the maps.☺

59. Anonymous on April 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm said:

FYI – when I went to the yellowmaps site, I got a slightly different selection of maps if I chose my states from the list of states on the left vs. clicking the state on the “choose your state” map.

Another source for maps that worked for me is this one (http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/countries_usa.htm). I was able to right click the map then copy the image into PowerPoint where I could size each map a bit smaller or bigger, depending on my preferences.

60. Hi Kayla! I just saw this picture on Pintrest and was curious about how you make it. I love the idea of these, especially for my kids because we just left North Carolina and they are missing their friends! I’m going to link this to my blog at http://jeanneparra.blogspot.com/, thanks for the instructions! And thanks to others for the great map links!

61. Anonymous on April 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm said:

Thanks for this super idea and great instructions. Easy peasy, lemon squeezie! Can hardly wait to get 7 states and 2 countries on the wall (used google “reference map of ___” for the countries and just surfed for the right image that suited my taste). I think I’ll even add a title to our traveling wall….

Thanks,
    A grateful military spouse :)

62. As everyone else has said — THANK YOU!

63. love this idea!!! question how do you make the maps smaller? i tried using paint and it takes away from the map.. i know this is a stupid question sorry!! TIA

64. Beautiful! I love maps too and recently covered a cardboard “Buck, Jr” with old aeronautical charts!

http://www.FlyingBrooklynBaby.blogspot.com (the nor’easter and Pizza Margherita post)

I love the backless frame you used-looking for a panoramic length version of it….

Thanks!

65. Jessica on May 8, 2012 at 12:23 am said:

The site you provided is having difficulty printing out 4 of my states! I’m so bummed, the other sites people posted aren’t as cute and colorful :-( Currently working on it, but if anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them!

66. The maps are ancient i love that.

Love stories

67. What a great crafty gift idea! Absolutely love it.

But baybe I’m completely dense but I can’t find the link to where you printed the maps from anywhere! Can someone post a link or the name of the site?!

Thanks!

68. Anonymous on May 17, 2012 at 8:39 pm said:

I’m not finding the link either! If you already have the files and the time could you send me Texas, WA and OR? I have someone I’d like to make a version of this for. :)
    Thanks!
    Lacie
    laciewallace87@gmail.com (Nice to see an Oregon original make it big in the pinterest world. Small world, I grew up in Monmouth and am very familiar with Bella Vie.) :)

69. where could I possibly get the wood that was used in the background on the second? Is there a frame that actually fits them into it?

70. Oh, wow looking at it cloer I feel like an idiot hahah

71. This is a very cool idea!

72. Kayla, I copied this project once before, and it was well received (wedding shower gift). I wanted to make it again, but can’t find the maps I used before. You used to have a detailed description of how to find and print them.. are those directions still available, and if so, where? :) Thanks for the help! This is a great idea! :)

73. i changed it up a bit. My husband, daughter and myself were born in different states. So i glued those states on a painted canvas! Love this idea, Thanks for the inspiration!

74. I seriously love this! I want to make one and feature it on my blog

xoDale

75. Can you please send me the Texas file? Meagan8203@aol.com

Thank you!!!

76. What size frame was used?

77. This is a great idea! Mine will just take a little longer than most because Ive lived in 10 other states and 2 other countries. But inspired idea!

78. Pingback: Remember My Map Art?? | Kayla Danelle

79. Pingback: 19 United States Inspired Crafts - Do Small Things with Love

80. Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both
    show the same results.
    Corpus Christi Lawyer recently posted…Corpus Christi LawyerMy Profile

• admin on May 14, 2014 at 7:50 am said:

I had a major hosting/blog fail a few weeks ago and have been doing “clean-up” ever since! Thanks for the heads up so that I know what needs to be taken care of! :) (And thanks for the visit!) – Kayla

81. Pingback: Tennessee sounds good to me | The Sensible Home